AVI HEALTH & COMMUNITY SERVICES (AVI) is a multi-disciplinary community based organization, providing HIV, hepatitis C and harm reduction services out of 5 locations across Vancouver Island. AVI provides services to people living with HIV and hepatitis C and harm reduction clients. We work within a social justice and health promotion framework – ensuring equity and access to services for all – and from a harm reduction perspective, understanding that clients are the best sources of knowledge regarding the services and supports they need.
At the core of what we do is our ability, and commitment to, creating meaningful connections. between clients and staff, between peers, between staff members, between organizations, between communities, and between funders and impactful programs. AVI provides comprehensive, accessible and effective education, prevention, care, treatment and support services to residents of Vancouver Island with offices in Victoria, the Westshore, Nanaimo, the Comox Valley and Campbell River. For more info see www.avi.org
Join our supportive, dedicated and client-centred team in promoting the health, dignity and well-being of all people affected by HIV, HCV and substance use by delivering sex-positive and harm reduction-based education, prevention and/or support services.
The Positive Wellness Program Victoria is located on the territories of the Ləkʷəŋən peoples (Esquimalt and Songhees nations).
The Nutrition Coordinator plans and prepares a balanced, nutritious meal for Positive Wellness members living with HIV and/or hepatitis C. The Positive Wellness Program offers a meal Mon-Weds-Fri in a drop-in space and serves approximately 50 hot lunches per day.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares and cooks a weekly menu of nutritious, hot lunches for program members
- Cleans kitchen after lunch prep
- Maintains a clean and safe workspace following Foodsafe protocols at all times, including food storage areas and kitchen
- Completes and maintains related records and documentation for submission to the Manager
- Completes weekly food orders and does menu planning.
- Helps support PWP clients
- Helps to de-escalate situations in the drop in.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Education, Training, and Experience:
- FOODSAFE Level 1
- Experience preparing and cooking nutritious food for 50 people or more
- Experience working on a team in a food preparation setting.
- Experience working within a social justice context preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to work with and develop rapport with a diverse clientele
- Ability to deescalate situations.
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe food preparation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of harm reduction principles
- Demonstrated understanding of the specific nutritional needs for living well with HIV/AIDS.
- Working knowledge of the issues surrounding substance use, mental health and communicable diseases.
- Pay: $29.27/hour to start with stepped increases based on your seniority with AVI. (Pay for this role is based on the BCGEU paygrid 30)
- Hours and Schedule: Casual basis with potential shifts falling from 9 am to 1 pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Location: 713 Johnson Street, in the Kitchen
- Number of Positions Available: We hope to hire 2 Casual Nutrition Coordinators.
- Union: AVI is a union environment under the Collective Agreement: HEABC & Health Services & Support Community Subsector Association 2022-2025 and this role is a BCGEU union position.
- Pension: If you are already a member of the Municipal Pension Plan (MPP), you can continue with them at AVI immediately. At this time, AVI contributes an additional 9.31% towards your pension account. If you are not already a member of the Municipal Pension Plan, part time staff may become eligible after 2 years with AVI.
- Other Perks: This position gets paid an extra 5% in lieu of vacation 5% in lieu of stats, meaning your hourly rate is actually 10% higher than listed.
- Proof of Vaccination Required: AVI is under BC's Health Services Order and continues to require proof of vaccination.
- Hours of Work, Days Off and Work Area may be subject to change.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 5 pm on Tuesday, September 19, 2023.
AVI is committed to equity and diversity and we strongly encourage applications from, but not limited to, folks who identify as Indigenous Persons, persons of colour, racialized, persons living with a disability, persons who use/d drugs, persons with experience of sex work, persons who live with HIV and/or hepatitis C, and persons representing diverse genders and sexualities.
It is beneficial to identify in the cover letter if you are Indigenous and/or have lived/living expertise relevant to the position.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.