Volunteer at AVI
Our services for people living with HIV and hepatitis C (HCV) as well as the Needle Exchange rely on the generous contributions of volunteers.
AVI has a philosophy of sex positivity and a harm reduction approach. We ask you to join us in these philosophies and deliver service with compassion and an open mind.
What you’ll need to get involved:
• Complete Volunteer Application Form by clicking on the volunteer inquiry form here. Questions are personal and forms are treated with the utmost confidentiality. Once you’ve reflected on your answers complete the application.
• Volunteer Orientation Volunteering at AVI sessions are offered periodically throughout the year. Sessions explore issues related to our work such as privacy, confidentiality and setting boundaries.
• Core Training HIV/AIDS Basics, Hepatitis C Basics and Harm Reduction Basics form the basis of our training course. All volunteers must participate in these courses which are offered along with the orientation.
• The Placement Interview After you have attended Volunteering at AVI we’ll arrange an interview where we’ll learn more about where your skills could best be utilized at AVI. You’ll be able to learn more about our organization too!
How much time do I need to give?
Regular volunteer positions are for a minimum of six-months time. Most volunteers are scheduled at the same time each week for an average of 2-4 hours per week. Personal circumstances are accommodated whenever possible.
Can I volunteer before completing Core Training?
Yes! Some volunteer jobs involve on-the-job orientation and volunteers can undertake self-directed learning. Volunteers are still expected to complete training when it is offered.
Does AVI need my professional skills?
Yes! Your professional skills are greatly valued. We would love to discuss how to volunteer them. Contact James Boxshall (email@example.com) with a brief description of what you have in mind.
What AVI volunteer opportunities are there?
• Reception Be our first point of contact. Greet visitors. Answer and direct calls. Process mail. Complete office tasks. 3 hour shifts (9am-Noon or Noon-3) on weekdays.
• Hot Lunch Program Serve meals, clean up and distribute food to registered members who live with HIV and HCV. 3 hour shifts(10am-1pm) on weekdays.
• Additional Volunteer Opportunities Learn more at Volunteer Orientation Sessions
For more info contact the Manager of Volunteer Services:
(250) 384-2366 ext. 2261
Fill out the volunteer inquiry form and we'll send you a Volunteer Application and notify you of the next set of orientation and training sessions.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Toll free infoline: 1-800-665-2437 | firstname.lastname@example.org | contact us