Volunteer at AVI
Get Involved. Volunteer!
*Please note: Volunteer Services at AVI is undergoing many changes and will not be processing applications from new volunteers until November, 2015. If you wish to volunteer in the future, please complete the inquiry form and we will be in touch when we are able to receive volunteers.
Our services for people living with HIV and hepatitis C (HCV) as well as the Needle Exchange rely on the generous contributions of volunteers.
AVI has a philosophy of sex positivity and a harm reduction approach. We ask you to join us in these philosophies and support our services with compassion and an open mind.
What you’ll need to get involved:
• Complete Volunteer Application Form by clicking on the volunteer inquiry form here. Questions are personal and forms are treated with the utmost confidentiality. Once you’ve reflected on your answers complete the application.
• Volunteer Orientations: Two orientation sessions are offered for people who wish to volunteer or who wish to explore volunteer options. Volunteering at AVI sessions are offered throughout the year. Sessions explore issues related to our work such as privacy, confidentiality and setting boundaries. Harm Reduction Orientation provides an overview of harm reduction policies and practice, with a focus on applications at AVI.
• Additional Training HIV/AIDS Basics and Hepatitis C Basics are courses that are offered to volunteers (along with other members of the public) periodically over the year. All volunteers are encouraged to attend these training sessions.
• The Placement Interview After you have attended the two orientation sessions, we arrange an interview to discuss where your skills could best be utilized at AVI. You’ll be able to learn more about our organization too!
How much time do I need to give?
Regular volunteer positions are for a minimum of six-months time. Most volunteers are scheduled at the same time each week for an average of 2-4 hours per week. Personal circumstances are accommodated whenever possible.
Can I volunteer before completing the Volunteer Orientation sessions?
We prefer that all volunteers attend both sessions before volunteering or shortly after starting. As well, volunteer jobs involve on-the-job orientation and volunteers can undertake self-directed learning. If you believe you should be considered for volunteering without attending the orientations, please indicate your reasons on your application.
What AVI volunteer opportunities are there?
• Reception Be our first point of contact. Greet visitors. Answer and direct calls. Process mail. Distribute harm reduction materials. 3 hour shifts (9am-Noon or Noon-3) on weekdays.
• Hot Lunch Program Serve meals, clean up and distribute food to registered members who live with HIV and HCV. 3 hour shifts(10am-1pm) on weekdays.
• Evening Meal Server Heat and serve food at the evening needle exchange program. Weekly shift, 6:30 – 8:30 pm
• Additional Volunteer Opportunities More opportunities are available; Please attend the Volunteer Orientation Session to learn about current opportunities.
For more info contact the Coordinator of Volunteers:
(250) 384-2366 ext. 3117
Fill out the volunteer inquiry form and we'll notify you of the next set of orientation and training sessions.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Toll free infoline: 1-800-665-2437 | firstname.lastname@example.org | contact us