PHONE 250-754-9111 FAX 250-754-9888
TOLL FREE 1-888-530-AIDS (2437)
MAILING ADDRESS AVI Health Centre, 102-55 Victoria Road, Nanaimo, BC, V9R-5N9
INFOLINE 1-800-665-2437 Learn more about HIV & HCV safer sex, HIV testing or transmission, STDs and harm reduction. Find services for you or someone you know. All confidential calls taken by trained staff and volunteers.
- Presentations for populations with greater exposure to HIV and HVC in prisons, social service organizations, and other community organizations are available by request.
- Educational materials promoting improved health, safer drug use, safer sex and more are available to the public at all AVI offices and online.
- Harm reduction supplies and information.
- Take home Naloxone trainings.
Services for people living with HIV/AIDS and/or Hepatitis C - Positive Wellness Program (PWP)
- Short-term counseling focused on immediate needs and outcomes
- Advocacy and support with income assistance, health care services, employment, housing, disability status applications and legal matters
- Non-judgmental education and support for treatment, side effects, nutrition, and symptoms HIV+ and HepC+, member-only program and space for peers to interact while enjoying refreshments and Boost Nutritional Supplement.
- Monthly “AVI Confidential” newsletter with relevant information about HIV & hepatitis C
- Port Alberni Advocacy, support, referrals and counseling are available one day per month in Port Alberni
Services for gay and queer men
- Men’s Wellness Program
- HIV and STI testing events
- Sexual health workshops available
AVI Health Centre
- Our AVI Health Centre (AVIHC) offers treatment and counseling to people struggling with opiate addiction.
- We also provide a weekly HIV Primary Care clinic. Our physician and nurse work with anyone living with HIV that wishes to access our health services. We are a low barrier easy to access health centre. Appointments can be made simply by calling our clinic.
- Thursday mornings HIV Primary Care clinic.
- Our nurse can provide STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing and treatment.
- One-minute HIV point of care screening tests are available for ANYONE.
- Our patients utilizing methadone treatment or living with HIV can access blood tests, pap smears, immunizations and wound care.
- With a harm reduction focus we offer education, treatment and support for clients living with HCV and HIV. Condoms, information and counseling about diseases and STIs, prevention and management as well as safer drug use are also available.