Volunteers play a critically important role throughout AVI, supporting our Harm Reduction Programing, the Positive Wellness Program, and the Health Promotion/Education/Community Development Department.
Volunteers support AVI's services in Nanaimo, Campbell River, Courtenay and Victoria.
AVI Courtenay is looking to hire new volunteers and welcomes applications from all who are interested. Current volunteer opportunities include:
- Front Desk Reception
- Assembling and Distributing Harm Reduction Supplies
- Set Up, Clean Up and Support for Monthly Community Kitchen
- Education, Outreach and Events (e.g. tabling for World Hepatitis Day, International Overdose Awareness Day, World AIDS Day etc.)
AVI Victoria is not currently offering volunteer opportunities due to Covid-19. We will update this page when we are able to welcome volunteers back.
Volunteer Opportunities in Victoria include:
- Food Prep for the Harm Reduction Drop In
- Education, Outreach & Events (e.g. Tabling, Distributing Safer Sex Supplies, Pride, World Hep C Day)
- Set Up, Clean Up & Support During the Positive Wellness Program's Lunch Service.
- Assembling Harm Reduction Supplies into kits
- Assembling Safer Sex Supplies into kits
- Folding & Research of a Distribution List & Distribution of AVI produced harm reduction material, "Dope Guide"
Although volunteers do not work directly to provide in depth supports to clients, all of our client programing depends on the hard work of volunteers. Without volunteers, we would be severely hampered in the work that we do.
AVI takes a harm reduction, sex positive and social justice based approach. The most important things that we look for in our volunteers are the capacity to respect the confidentiality of our clients, and a non-judgemental attitude.
We have volunteer opportunities suitable to those who prefer working independently, as well as for those who prefer working in groups. Likewise, there are some opportunities where a dependable schedule is necessary and others where the time commitment is very flexible.
In Courtenay, if you would like to volunteer, please complete a volunteer application and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org along with any references that you would like to include. Once the application has been reviewed, we then schedule a one-on-one meeting to discuss your placement with AVI.
We looking forward to hearing from you!