Harm Reduction Support Worker
(HIV and BBD Prevention & Harm Reduction) – Part-time and Casual
Health Promotion and Community Development; Courtenay and Campbell River
Manager; Courtenay and Campbell River
Health Services & Support Community Subsector Association
Grid 10 (starting at $21.13/hr)
- Under the direct supervision of the Manager; Courtenay and Campbell River, the Harm Reduction Support Worker will provide a broad range of low barrier, psycho-social supports to individuals accessing harm reduction programming at AIDS Vancouver Island.
- The Harm Reduction Support Worker will provide evidence-based educational and harm reduction interventions to individuals and priority populations to increase knowledge regarding HIV and other BBD transmission and prevention strategies, and facilitate behavior change to prevent transmission.
- The Harm Reduction Support Worker will provide oversight, support, and overdose response, including the administration of oxygen and Naloxone, to people using illicit substances in AVI’s Overdose Prevention Room.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Provide safer drug use and safer sex supplies.
- Provide education and support regarding safer drug use and safer sex, HIV, hepatitis C, and STIs.
- Overdose prevention education and first aid response, including education on the administration of Naloxone.
- Use brief assessment, active listening and crisis response skills to help meet immediate, basic needs and make appropriate referrals to other health and support services within the community.
- Engage with clients in a collaborative, person-centered approach grounded in harm reduction and trauma-informed practice to provide information and support.
- Maintain the safety of all program spaces by following protocols related to violence prevention and critical incidents (such as overdose prevention and response), including the ability to use communication devices (cell phone).
- Facilitate workshops and support groups related to increasing health and wellness.
- Work in collaboration with partner agencies to provide a continuum of services.
- Maintain both paper and electronic confidential client files as required.
- Engage in planning, evaluation, and program development as directed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Formal education in health or social services program (Social Work, Psychology, Mental Health & Addictions Support Worker, etc.), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Harm Reduction Support Workers will have a minimum of two years relevant work experience and will demonstrate the following minimum requirements:
- First Aid training and experience responding to critical incidents;
- Direct service delivery experience in the community social services sector with a demonstrated working knowledge of community-based programs and related provincial and community support services systems;
- Demonstrated skills, experience and knowledge in the areas of safer drug use, addictions, safer sex, sex work, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, mental health, etc.;
- Demonstrated knowledge of social justice, health promotion and public health approaches and models of social support and health care;
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to harm reduction principles and practices;
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with a diverse range of clientele including individuals who are actively using substances and living with significant health challenges;
- Experience managing hostile interactions, utilizing non-violent communication and de-escalation skills;
- Ability to apply sound judgement: stay grounded and use creativity, flexibility and assertiveness when working through complex and often urgent situations;
- Demonstrated understanding of the importance and role of people who use drugs in the development, delivery, and evaluation of services intended to benefit them;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required to work effectively with co-workers, clients, community, and other service providers.
Candidates should send an updated resume and cover letter as one attachment
to email@example.com by 5pm on Monday, March 27th.
If you would like more information about this position, please call Kristen at 250-384-2366, extension 3108.