Applicants should submit resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on March 7, 2018
Hours of Work: Casual/on-call. Shifts are 10:00am – 2:00pm Monday; 10:00am – 4:00pm Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30am – 5:00pm Thursday
Work Location: AVI Health Centre, 102-55 Victoria Rd, Nanaimo BC
The Casual Clinic Nurse provides HIV POC Testing, STI testing, HIV Medication reordering and management, ongoing case management and nursing intakes.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides testing information, education and referral to clients accessing AVI Health Centre.
- Offers HIV testing via blood draw or point of care (POC), as clinically appropriate.
- As part of the post-test discussion, provides information, education, or referral to clients, as necessary
- Other related duties as assigned
- Provides multidisciplinary case coordination for clients living with HIV/AIDS and/or hepatitis C via the HIV primary care clinic at AVI Nanaimo. Works to maintain individualized care plans.
- Provides ongoing monitoring and support to the client in accordance with the care plan. Provides information, education, referral, and client advocacy regarding health care (including primary and specialist care, diagnostic and laboratory services, and medication adherence)
- Provides multidisciplinary community case coordination to relevant clients living with HIV/AIDS and/or Hepatitis C. Works closely with community partners to ensure seamless support of shared clients
- Provides systems navigation, advocacy and active referral to housing, disability, mental health and substance use services, nutrition support, and other relevant services
Monitoring of Treatment Adherence
- Promotes and monitors HIV treatment adherence based on client need
Education, Training, and Experience:
- 3 years’ experience working with mental health and addictions, and blood-borne diseases
- Certified to provide HIV Point of Care testing.
- Prefer certification in phlebotomy, immunizations, STI testing and PAPs.
- Valid class 5 Driver’s License
Professional Registration or License:
Certified Registered Nurse.
Skills and Abilities:
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills
- Advocacy skills
- Leadership experience
- Ability to work with structurally vulnerable clientele
- Demonstrated skills, experience and knowledge in the areas of harm reduction/health promotion practices, safer using practices, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, poverty issues, mental health concerns and addictions
- Ability to work under pressure and in crisis situations
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Understanding of diversity issues
- Understanding of the psycho-social issues affecting people who use drugs by injection
We encourage applications from, but not limited to, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, persons living with disabilities, persons who use/d illicit drugs, persons with experience of sex work, and persons representing diverse genders and sexualities.