AVI Health & Community Services (AVI) is a multi-disciplinary community based organization, providing HIV, hepatitis C and harm reduction services out of 5 locations across Vancouver Island. AVI provides services to people living with HIV and hepatitis C and harm reduction clients. We work within a social justice and health promotion framework – ensuring equity and access to services for all – and from a harm reduction perspective, understanding that clients are the best sources of knowledge regarding the services and supports they need.
At the core of what we do is our ability, and commitment to, creating meaningful connections. between clients and staff, between peers, between staff members, between organizations, between communities, and between funders and impactful programs. AVI provides comprehensive, accessible and effective education, prevention, care, treatment and support services to residents of Vancouver Island with offices in Victoria, the Westshore, Nanaimo, the Comox Valley and Campbell River. For more info see www.avi.org
Join our supportive, dedicated and client-centred team in promoting the health, dignity and well-being of all people affected by HIV, HCV and substance use by delivering sex-positive and harm reduction-based education, prevention and/or support services.
The Operations Coordinator is responsible for administering and supporting three key areas of administration at AVI: operations, systems and facilities administration. This position reports to the Operations Manager.
The Operations Coordinator is responsible for the daily administration of functions that are important to AVI’s overall strength and effectiveness. The position requires an individual with a broad range of experience and skills, and one that is able to work in a range of areas on a daily basis, particularly in areas that involve a lot of data, administrative skills, basic computer support skills, social media account management and office supply/space logistics.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Accounts payable: monitor the payables email, code and submit invoices, receiving and submitting invoices, maintaining A/P files, assisting bookkeeper with coding and tracking down invoices and cheques as needed
- Responsible for coordinating agency reporting including maintaining calendar of all reporting dates and connecting with staff to ensure that all reporting is submitted in a timely manner
- Coordinating and compiling data reporting processes and procedures from program areas across the agency
- Providing backup for payroll on an as-needed basis. AVI uses a system called Inclusion and training will be provided.
- Responsible for tracking and reporting on donations received from all offices and donation streams, issuing charitable tax receipts, and keeping donation summary spreadsheet updated
- Responsible for maintaining and ordering stationary and other supplies as necessary, including tracking, administering, and managing requests for supplies from staff
- Responsible for administering office petty cash
- Responsible for maintaining and growing AVI membership, including maintaining membership list, sending out membership renewal emails and coordinating membership drives
- Updating AVI website
- Coordinating and supervising social media (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram)
- Designing and ordering business cards, posters, and other communications materials using Canva
- Troubleshooting IT concerns for employees in the Victoria offices
- Support in planning meetings and events
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- At least three years’ experience within a nonprofit setting
- Demonstrated administrative skills
- Knowledge of practices and procedures related to accounting and payroll
- Experience with communications work including social media management and basic graphic design
- Experience with evaluation and reporting in a not for profit work setting
- Excellent computer skills including fluent knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience with contract administration
- Experience with automated payroll systems is an asset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities
- Must be able to work Tuesdays
Skills and Abilities:
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills, display tact, respect and diplomacy
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent organizational, attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Ability to do mathematical and financial calculations
- Ability to multi-tasking, prioritize work duties, and work efficiently
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to apply sound judgement: stay grounded and use creativity, flexibility, and assertiveness when working through complex and often urgent situations
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others
- Knowledge and familiarity with not for profit policies and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of social justice, health promotion and public health approaches and models of social support and health care
- Pay: $33.00/hour
- Hours and Schedule: 25-30 hours per week, depending on the candidate’s preferences. Schedule to include Tuesdays and falls between Monday and Friday from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Union: AVI is a union environment under the Collective Agreement: HEABC & Health Services & Support Community Subsector Association 2019-2022 and this role is an Excluded Position.
- Benefits: This position will be eligible for extended health, life and AD&D coverage after 488 hours with AVI. AVI pays for the entire cost of the plan on behalf of its staff.
- Pension: If you are already a member of the Municipal Pension Plan (MPP), you can continue with them at AVI immediately. If not, after 488 hours, you will be eligible to join the Municipal Pension Plan. At this time, AVI contributes an additional 9.31% towards your pension account.
- Other Perks: This position gets 8% vacation (equivalent to 4 weeks) and 6.9% Sick Bank. Sick and Vacation Banks are both accessible after your first 488 hours at AVI.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 5 pm on September 6, 2022.
AVI is committed to equity and diversity and we strongly encourage applications from, but not limited to, folks who identify as Indigenous Persons, persons of colour, racialized, persons living with a disability, persons who use/d drugs, persons with experience of sex work, persons who live with HIV and/or hepatitis C, and persons representing diverse genders and sexualities.
As AVI is a union environment, internal staff will be prioritized in the hiring process.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.