Are you looking for a meaningful place to volunteer? Would you like to use your expertise to help shape the future of an organization? Then AVI Health & Community Services (AVI)is looking for you!
AVI is currently seeking volunteers for our Board of Directors. We are a governance board with oversight for the legal and financial aspects of the organization as well as setting the vision and strategic plan. If you have a passion for contributing to the community and want to make a lasting impact on an organization that provides education, prevention and both support and harm reduction services, we want to hear from you!
About AVI Health & Community Services
AVI Health & Community Services is offering an outstanding opportunity to join a respected and successful not-for-profit organization. AVI’s mission is promoting health, dignity, and well-being for all people affected by HIV, hepatitis C, and substance use by delivering sex-positive and harm reduction based education, prevention and support services in the communities of Greater Victoria, Nanaimo, the Comox Valley, and Campbell River. AVI Health & Community Services also provides a range of Harm Reduction programs including overdose prevention, Opioid Agonist Treatment (OAT) and pharmaceutical alternatives (safe supply), providing supplies for safer drug use, including sterile needles, safer crack using kits and safer sex supplies, advocacy, and health promotion/harm reduction information. Our service users include people who use substances; those who are homeless; who live with HIV and/or hepatitis C; Indigenous people; LGBTQ2S+ and GB2SMSM communities; people; sex workers; people from a variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and people living with disabilities.
AVI is particularly seeking volunteers who have experience in the legal or financial or healthcare fields. We also welcome applications from people with lived experience in any of the areas we serve. Volunteers can be located anywhere on Vancouver Island.
As a Board member, you will be responsible to:
- Attend all Board meetings
- Prepare for meetings and review and comment on minutes and reports
- Become familiar with and keep copies of AVI Health & Community Services bylaws and policy statements
- Participate in annual evaluation and planning efforts
- Commit to active participation in committee work
- Volunteer for, willingly accept and complete assignments
- Develop collegial working relationships with colleagues
- Adhere to the AVI Health & Community Services Board Code of Conduct
- Knowledge and understanding, or willingness to learn about HIV and hepatitis C, substance use and harm reduction
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues faced by our service users
- Willingness to develop skills and knowledge regarding the governance and operation of a registered non-profit society
- Ability to work as part of a team including volunteer and staff members
- The ability to serve for a minimum 2 year term
- Commitment of approximately 4-6 hours average/month depending on activities
- Participation in monthly board meetings
Applicants can reside anywhere on Vancouver Island, as long as they have access to a stable internet connection.
Please send expressions of Interest (cover letter, resume, and references) to AVI Executive Director Katrina Jensen at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mitch Hawes, AVI Board Recruitment and Development, at email@example.com. We will be accepting applications until June 15th 2021.
The AVI Board Recruitment Committee will review submissions and arrange interviews with potential candidates. If selected, candidates will be invited to sit in on an upcoming board meeting to meet the entire board prior to an appointment vote.
Submissions and general enquiries should be emailed to the attention of the Board Recruitment Committee, care of Mitch Hawes at firstname.lastname@example.org