Services available in Nanaimo
- Infoline (1-800-665-2437) provides information about HIV & HCV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus & Hepatitis C Virus), safer sex, HIV testing or transmission, STDs, harm reduction, etc. The confidential calls are administered by trained volunteers and staff.
- HIV/HCV-related presentations for high-risk populations in prisons, social service organizations, and other community organizations.
- AVI’s extensive collection of material regarding HIV/HCV-related issues available to the public at our office. Education Information, resources, presentations and displays can be requested through the staff at any of our locations.
- A weekly housing list of what's available in Nanaimo and surrounding areas.
- Access to harm reduction supplies and information.
SERVICES FOR PEOPLE LIVING WITH HIV/AIDS OR HEPATITIS C through the Positive Wellness Program
- Short-term solution-focused counseling and support
- Advocacy and support with issues regarding income assistance, health care, employment, housing, and legal matters
- Assistance with Persons With Disability status application
- Referrals and links to other services
- Non-judgmental education and support for treatment, side effects, nutrition and symptoms
- Daily space for HIV+ and hepatitis C+ clients that includes access to meal replacement drinks, coffee, fruit and snacks on a daily basis.
- Access to Boost nutritional supplement and payment for their yearly bus pass (for clients who are eligible through their PWD benefits).
- Monthly "AVI Confidential" newsletter with relevant information about HIV & hepatitis C
- Advocacy, support, referrals and counselling are available one day per month in Port Alberni
SERVICES FOR GAY & QUEER MEN
- HIV+ Gay men`s support group
- Sexual health workshops
See also our Men's Wellness Program.
AVI HEALTH CENTRE
The AVI Health Centre is a private not for profit health care located in the same building as AIDS Vancouver Island. The health center provides medical treatment and counselling to people struggling with addiction to opiates.
We offer methadone treatment and personalized counselling services for people struggling with addiction to opiates. We also offer education, treatment and support for clients living with Hepatitis C and/or HIV.
Harm reduction services such as condoms, information and counselling on disease and sexually transmitted infections, prevention and management, and safer drug use are available.
We serve as a point of health education and referral to other community services that may benefit our clients.
Visit www.avihealthcentre.org for information on accessing services.
For more information about these services please contact us.