Services in Nanaimo
AVI Health Centre
Address: 102-55 Victoria Road, Nanaimo, BC, V9R-5N9
Phone: 250-753-2437 | Fax: 250-754-9888
Toll free: 1-888-530-AIDS (2437)
INFOLINE: 1-800-665-2437 Learn more about HIV & HCV safer sex, HIV testing or transmission, STDs and harm reduction. Find services for you or someone you know. All confidential calls taken by trained staff and volunteers.
Presentations for populations with greater exposure to HIV and HVC in prisons, social service organizations, and other community organizations are available by request.
Educational materials promoting improved health, safer drug use, safer sex and more are available to the public at all AVI offices and online.
Weekly housing list of what’s available in Nanaimo and surrounding areas.
Harm reduction supplies and information.
SERVICES FOR PEOPLE LIVING WITH HIV/AIDS AND/OR HEPATITIS C through the Positive Wellness Program
- Short-term counseling focused on immediate needs and outcomes
- Advocacy and support with income assistance, health care services, employment, housing, disability status applications and legal matters
- Non-judgmental education and support for treatment, side effects, nutrition and symptoms
- HIV+ and HepC+, member-only program and space for peers to interact while enjoying refreshments and Boost Nutritional Supplement.
- Monthly “AVI Confidential” newsletter with relevant information about HIV & hepatitis C
- Port Alberni Advocacy, support, referrals and counseling are available one day per month in Port Alberni
SERVICES FOR GAY & QUEER MEN
- Men’s Wellness Program
- HIV+ Gay Men`s support group
- Sexual health workshops available
AVI HEALTH CENTRE
Our AIDS Vancouver Island Health Centre (AVIHC) offers treatment and counseling to people struggling with opiate addiction and HIV+ primary care. Tuesday mornings a doctor, nurse and counselor are available for anyone living with HIV who wishes to initiate treatment. Our nurse can provide STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing and treatment. One-minute HIV point of care screening tests are available for ANYONE. Our patients utilizing methadone treatment or living with HIV can access blood tests, pap smears, immunizations and wound care. With a harm reduction focus we offer education, treatment and support for clients living with HCV and HIV. Condoms, information and counseling about diseases and STIs, prevention and management as well as safer drug use are also available. Learn more about AVIHC.