Men's Wellness Program
The Men's Wellness Program’s primary focus is to reduce HIV, STIs and stigma on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands amongst men that engage sexually with other men. By promoting men’s health in these, our, communities, we are accomplishing that goal.
Our community includes gay, bisexual, trans, Two Spirit, queer, men who enjoy having sex with men and more
We encourage our community to make informed choices about their own sexual practices and wellness. Sex education to reduce HIV, hepatitis C and other sexually transmitted infections is part of our mission. It is paired with the cultivation of attitudes and behaviours that support safe, strong and stable foundations for sexual health and wellbeing.
By taking good care of ourselves, we take good care of our community.
The Men’s Wellness Program offers:
1. Information: Receive health and event informational by becoming a MWP subscriber. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to join. We maintain community information boards at venues around Vancouver Island and publish educational material relevant to self-identified men who have sex with self-identified men.
MWP also produces the MWP newsletter, the e-magazine of the Men's Wellness Program.
2. Group support: The Men’s Wellness Program is committed to offering a safe environment for individuals to talk about being actively involved with other men, and how that impacts on their sexual, physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual health and wellbeing. We facilitate various group meetings in the greater Victoria area, social events, health & wellness info sessions across Vancouver Island, conferences and peer training in Victoria, Ladysmith, Nanaimo, Courtenay, Campbell River and Port Hardy throughout the year.
3. Solo support:
Men’s Wellness Program Support Coordinator: Jonathan Degenhardt is available for one-to-one discussion, support and outreach in the South Island region. He can be contacted by phone at (250) 384-2366 ext 2276, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Men’s Wellness Program Coordinator: Samuel Salvati is available for one-to-one discussion, outreach, and program inquiries in the Mid Island and the North Island regions. He can be contacted by phone at (250) 384-2366 ext 2273, or email@example.com
Toll Free Infoline: Have a question? Want to contact us anonymously? Give us a call at 1-800-665-2437.
4. Outreach: MWP provides free access to safer sex supplies (Assorted condoms and lube) at Paparazzi Night Club (642 Johnson St.) in Victoria BC, and the Metro nightclub (728 Nicol St.) in Nanaimo BC. We carry these safer sex supplies at AIDS Vancouver Island locations across Vancouver Island. Outreach and delivery of safe sex supplies to local cruising areas, other groups, events, schools and individuals on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands is part of our service.
Highlights from the Men’s Wellness Program:
• Men’scapes Conferences: These conferences are held yearly at various locations on Vancouver Island, BC. Gay, bi, trans, Two Spirit, Queer, and other men who enjoy having sex with men gather for workshops and to reflect upon the diversity and intersectionality of issues that impact our community.
• Monthly Wellness Groups: These community-based groups are for gay, bi, trans, Two Spirit, Queer, and men who enjoy having sex with men to come together for support and engagement about issues that are prevalent in the community. Groups include:
· Gender Variant Drop-In Group
· Creating Connections Discussion Group
· Queer Disabilities Group
· Poz Men’s Group Nanaimo
• Mid/North Island Outreach Events: There are various events occurring throughout the year in mid/north island locations. Follow us on Facebook to see what is coming to a community near you! https://www.facebook.com/aidsvancouverisland
Stay tuned for new programing and opportunities through the Men’s Wellness Program in the coming months. We are working hard to create new and exciting programing in a community near you!
Volunteers needed! We’re looking for help in the areas of outreach, administration, writers, fundraisers and event supporters. If you have a skill you want to share, an idea you want to make happen or want to help invigorate the gay, bi, trans, Two Spirit, and Queer community scene on the Island, give us a call!
AVI gratefully acknowledges the funding provided by the Public Health Agency of Canada under the AIDS Community Action Program.