The Men's Wellness Program’s primary focus is to reduce HIV, STIs and stigma on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands amongst men that engage sexually with other men. By promoting men’s health in these, our, communities, we are accomplishing that goal.
Our community includes gay, bisexual, trans, Two Spirit, queer, GBMSM, men who enjoy having sex with men and more.
We encourage our community to make informed choices about their own sexual practices and wellness. Sex education to reduce HIV, hepatitis C and other sexually transmitted infections is part of our mission. It is paired with the cultivation of attitudes and behaviours that support safe, strong and stable foundations for sexual health and wellbeing.
By taking good care of ourselves, we take good care of our community.
The Men’s Wellness Program offers
- INFORMATION: Receive health and event informational by becoming a MWP subscriber. Contact email@example.com to join. We maintain community information boards at venues around Vancouver Island and publish educational material relevant to self-identified men who have sex with self-identified men. MWP also produces the Men’s Briefs, the e-magazine of the Men's Wellness Program. Click here to read our latest Men's Brief.
- GROUP SUPPORT: The Men’s Wellness Program is committed to offering a safe environment for individuals to talk about being actively involved with other men, and how that impacts on their sexual, physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual health and wellbeing. We facilitate various group meetings in the greater Victoria area, social events, health & wellness info sessions across Vancouver Island, conferences and peer training in Victoria, Ladysmith, Nanaimo, Courtenay and Campbell River throughout the year. For more information contact our Men’s Wellness Program Educator, Nathan Grills via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (250) 384-2366 ext 3114
- SOLO SUPPORT: Men’s Wellness Program Support Coordinator: Jonathan Degenhardt is available for one-to-one discussion, support and outreach on the Vancouver Island. He can be contacted by phone at (250) 384-2366 ext 3115, text at (250) 812-2670 or email@example.com. Have a question and want to contact us anonymously? Give us a call at 1-800-665-2437.
- WORKSHOPS: The Men’s Wellness Program offer multiple workshops throughout the year on Vancouver Island. To find out what workshops are coming up contact Jonathan Degenhardt by phone at (250) 384-2366 ext 3115, text at (250) 812-2670 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- OUTREACH: MWP provides free access to safer sex supplies (Assorted condoms and lube) at Paparazzi Night Club (642 Johnson St.) in Victoria BC. We also carry safer sex supplies at all our locations across Vancouver Island. Outreach and delivery of safe sex supplies to local cruising areas, other groups, events, schools and individuals on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands is also part of our service.
Highlights from the Men’s Wellness Program
- PEER LEADERSHIP PROGRAM A Peer Leadership Program where participants help build empowered healthy communities and fight the stigma, discrimination and homophobia standing in the way of justice and health for gay, bisexual, trans, Two Spirit, queer, GBMSM, and men who enjoy having sex with men.
- MEN'SCAPES CONFERENCES: These conferences are held yearly at various locations on Vancouver Island, BC. gay, bisexual, trans, Two Spirit, queer, and other men who enjoy having sex with men gather for workshops and to reflect upon the diversity and intersectionality of issues that impact our community.
- MONTHLY WELLNESS GROUPS: These community-based groups are for gay, bisexual, trans, Two Spirit, queer, GBMSM, and men who enjoy having sex with men to come together for support and engagement about issues that are prevalent in the community. Groups include:
- Gender Variant Drop-In Group
- Queer Disabilities Group
- Poz Men’s Group Nanaimo
- HEALTH EDUCATION: Our program offers educational workshops and resources throughout Vancouver Island. Check out our PrEp and PEP brochures for the latest info on HIV prevention medication.
- MID/NORTH ISLAND OUTREACH EVENTS: There are various events occurring throughout the year in mid/north island locations. Follow us on Facebook to see what is coming to a community near you! https://www.facebook.com/MWPAVI
Stay tuned for new programing and opportunities through the Men’s Wellness Program in the coming months. We are working hard to create new and exciting programing in a community near you!